CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 12, 2008

Financial Freedom

So, Jeremy and I have begun a journey to financial freedom, and I am so totally excited. I am going to use this blog as a way of keeping track of our progress, a diary if you will. As a place to write my thoughts and concerns as we take this incredible journey.

First off, I have to give God the credit for helping us find a wonderful Sunday School class. If it weren't for our teachers we never would have begun this journey. Second, I have to thank Tom and Danielle for being willing to meet with us and encourage us along the way.

Second, I want to clarify why we are emmbarking on this Journey. I decided to sit down and look at our financial situation. I've heard people say that putting you finances out on paper will scare you to death. Well that was certainly true. According to my calculations we only had $442.00 left after paying all our bills - and that was for the month. Break that down weekly and we had about $100.00 a week left over. That didn't include gas or groceries. But one thing I did see is that God's hand is at work because we never go without food or gas and all the bills are paid, even our tithe. So, Jeremy and I decided that we'd make an appointment to meet with our teachers and set up a plan to get out of debt.

Our first meeting was August 23rd and it went well. We laid everything out on the table and again it wasn't pretty but we're not in that bad of a spot. Plus, we are blessed that Jeremy is a Firefighter and is able to work a second job. Tom told us that most people in our situation (or worse) work one job and they don't have the time for a second. Tom gave us a "road map" (litterally) to guide us along. The first step is to save $1000.00 for emergencies. Not so bad, and once we complete a step we are to celebrate. We actually need to save $1040.00 so we have $40.00 to celebrate with.

I am so excited!! We always talk about getting out of debt and we never devise a plan and we;ve never had someone to encourage us. I can send the end and the freedom but I know it will take a while and I will have to have patience. That's where this blog comes in handy. I'll post updates and praises to help remind us where we've been and where we are. I know there will be discouraging times and that's when we need the prayers and support of our family and friends.

I pray each night that God will have complete control of our finances. That He will give us wisodm on how to spend our money and help us make wise choices. I know what our budget looks like and I can tell you right now (humanly) we're looking at a 5 year plan. But thankfully we serve a God who is not human and I am praying His plan is less than 5 years. I am praying that His plan is so crazy supernatural that when we tell our story there is no way we can take any credit for it.

WOW!!! Our God is AWESOME, isn't he? I am super excited. We covet your prayers over the next few weeks, months and years. I look at our road map and think how awesome it would be to be debt free in a year or two and how that can only happen by the grace of God!!!

0 comments: