CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 12, 2008

First Discouragement, and then God is truly amazing!!!

Well it happened. The first step on our Journey is to save $1000.00 for emergencies. We already had most of that in savings so I knew going in to this that we'd pass this step quickly. I was more worried about step 2 - pay off credit cards and save 1 months living expenses. We have a ridiculious amount of credit card debt and I know this step will be the longest. Once the credit cards are paid off, then the rest of the debt will decrease rapidly.

I was looking over the statements and discovered that Jeremy's interest rate was 20.99%. His card is designed to help you pay off the card so the minimum payment is usually $270.00. That's great except you add in the interest and bam!!! A whopping $95.00 a month goes to the balance!! Instant discouragment.

I asked Tom if we should look at getting a credit card to consolidate both our cards, preferably at a much lower interest rate. He said sure and I began the process. First, I contacted my credit card for a credit line increase, and was denied. So I went online with Wachovia (our bank) and applied on line. They don't do instant approvals so I'd have to wait 7-10 business days to find out the decision. Honestly, I was pretty sure that if they gave us the card we'd get a credit line of $500.00 -$1000.00 and that wouldn't even begin to help.

While all this was going on in my head, Jeremy had to travel to Dothan, Alabama to be with his mom while his dad was in the hospital. This means that he couldn't work his second job and therefore there would be no extra money to help pay the bills. More Discouragment.

Beacuse I am impatient, I tried to talk myself into calling Wachovia to see if a decision had been made. But I decided that the answer would come soon enoungh and I would just wait. On Wednesday September 10, 2008 I recieved the approval letter. We had infact been approved but I didn't see where the credit line information was. I scanned the page several times and didn't see it. I flipped the page over and there it was. Proof that God always provides, proof that He knows exactly what we need and when we need it most. The credit line was about $200.00 more than the balances of both of credit cards combined with a balance transfer offer of 0.00% interest for a year!!!! I cried. God is truly amazing and I am so glad I was patient and waited for the letter. God revealed Himself in an awesome way. It was like He was standing there telling me that His plan for us is to be financially free and this was how we were going to start this process. I can honestly compare the feeling I had that day with the feeing I had after accepting Chirst as my savior. I felt like a huge burden had been lifted. It just reminded me that God hears us when we call on Him. He knows our needs before we even call His name.

I said in the first post that I could see the finish line but that vision got lost (a little) with the credit card situation. The finish line became blurry and I wanted to quit. I thought, "what's the point, we're going to spend the next 10 years paying off our credit cards. Why bother?". But God has bigger plans for us and if we allow Him to lead we will see clearly.

Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

1 Chronicles 4:10 - "Jabez criedout to the God of Israel, saying, "Oh that You would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his requst.


Thank you Father for always providing for Your children. Thank you for blessing us even when we don't deserve it. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

0 comments: